The Provincial Mining Regulatory Board (PMRB) of Agusan del Norte convened its Regular Meeting on January 27, 2021 at Red Palm Suites and Restaurant in Butuan City.
Engr. Glenn Marcelo C. Noble, Regional Director of the Mines and Geosciences Bureau (MGB) Regional Office (RO) No. XIII, presided over the meeting in his capacity as the PMRB Chairman. The regular members of the PMRB were in attendance – Mr. Alberto T. Endozo, Jr., PMRB Vice Chairman; Engr. Verlin Marie M. Baldapan and Engr. Ernesto T. Calzar, MGB RO No. XIII Representatives; Mr. Crisnorman S. Linconada, Large-scale Mining Sector Representative; Mr. Florante O. Perez, Small-scale Mining Sector Representative; Atty. Gil M. Cembrano, Sand and Gravel Permit Holders Representative; Mr. Jonathan P. Caga-anan, Environmental Non-governmental Organization Representative; Ms. Adela G. Antiga, OIC-Chief of Environment and Natural Resources Division (ENRD) and Mses. Marina S. Trillo and Romina C. Altorino, Secretariat. Other participants included Atty. Roberto T. Tejano of SEMCO Exploration and Mining Corporation; Ms. Mary Joy Mondejar of Del Pilar Small-scale Mining Association, Inc. (DPSSMAI); Ms. Emman Prisco of Department of Science and Technology Caraga Regional Office; Mr. Junel Pacable of ENRD as well as Engr. Lilibeth P. Gimoto, Engr. Noli N. Arreza and Engr. Francis Glenn N. Suante of MGB RO No. XIII.
At the meeting, Engr. Gimoto presented the following agenda:
- Application of Del Pilar Small-scale Mining Association, Inc. for Renewal of Small-scale Mining Contract No. 001-2018-XIII-ADN;
- Application of DPSSMAI for Mineral Processing License (MPL);
- Updates on the status of the MPL application of Integrated Gold-Copper Mineral Processing Plant of the Department of Science and Technology; and
- Status updates on the compliances of DPSSMAI.
Issues and concerns regarding the aforesaid agenda were discussed at length by the participants as updates and recommendations were given towards the end of the meeting.
As stipulated in Section 24 of Republic Act No. 7076, otherwise known as the People’s Small-scale Mining Act of 1991, the Provincial/City Mining Regulatory Board is created under the direct supervision and control of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources Secretary which shall be the implementing agency of the Department and shall exercise the following powers and functions, subject to review by the Secretary:
- Declare and segregate existing gold-rush areas for small-scale mining;
- Reserve future gold and other mining areas for small-scale mining;
- Award contracts to small-scale miners;
- Formulate and implement rules and regulations related to small-scale mining;
- Settle disputes, conflicts or litigations over conflicting claims within a people’s small-scale mining area; and
Perform such other functions as may be necessary to achieve the goals and objectives of Republic Act No. 7076.