The Geosciences Division (GSD) shall undertake land and marine geoscientific surveys, including mineral exploration, geological mapping, geohazard assessment, groundwater resource exploration and vulnerability assessment, and engineering geological and geo-environmental studies; and provide geological laboratory and information services.
It shall have the following section:
General and Economic Geology Section
- Conducts geological mapping, and other specialized studies involving stratigraphy, structural geology and tectonics, and geomorphology, and among others;
- Conducts mineral exploration, including characterization and modelling of mineral deposits;
- Undertakes the evaluation of proposed mineral reservation;
- Conducts validation and inventory of mineral resource
- Assists in the evaluation of mining tenements in relation to mineral exploration;
- Conducts Information, Education and Communication campaigns on geosciences, including geology, geohazard, rocks and mineral deposits, hydrology, among others.
Hydrogeology and Environmental Geology Section
- Conducts hydrogeological exploration and vulnerability assessment; and
- Conducts geo-environmental studies, including assessment of possible solid waste disposal sites and studies on climate change and other environmental impacts, among others.
Geohazard and Engineering Geology Section
- Conducts geohazard and risk assessment, including hazard modelling, and engineering geological studies;
- Conducts relocation/resettlement and evacuation site assessment in support to disaster risk reduction and management programs; and
- Undertakes geological scoping and review of engineering geological and geohazard assessment reports.
Geological Laboratory Services Section
- Provides services on geological laboratory analysis of minerals/ores, rocks, soil, sediments, fossils, water and other types of samples.